This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS9645 TOWNSEND ROAD 900-1/4/99 (West side) 04/07/52 No.2 Townsend House
Includes: No.16 SELBOURNE PLACE. House. Late C16 or early C17, remodelled and heightened in the mid C18; restored c1990. Painted render over cob and rubblestone, late C20 slate roof to front and slate roof to rear, hipped to right, gabled to left. Brick stacks to left and rear right. L-shaped plan, the rear wing being 16 Selbourne Place, consists of original front range including rear lateral stack to right remodelled with central hall, rear stairs and rear wing in C18. 2 storeys; symmetrical 4-window range, of 1:2:1-fenestration with slightly projecting pedimented centre. Rusticated quoins; C20 paired and horned 6/6-pane sashes in forward frames. The 2 central ranges step forward slightly under a pediment with an oval window with radiating glazing bars to the apex over a tall hemispherical-headed niche. The 6-panel door is under a pedimented hood on shaped brackets. The rear wing has C20 windows. INTERIOR: the original house has 2 chamfered beams to right but has otherwise been much altered. Mid C18 joinery includes panelled door and shutters; stud partitions; dog-leg staircase with winders and turned balusters on open string. HISTORY: The C18 remodelling is referred to in a survey of 1764 in which Townsend House is described as "a handsom (sic) newbuilt dwelling house". Between 1768 and 1787 the house, a Luttrell property, was occupied by Richard Cox, a prominent local maltster and political agent for HF Luttrell of Dunster Castle (Dunster CP). (Stevens DJ: A History of Townsend House, Minehead: Winsford: 1986-).
Listing NGR: SS9683645997
Copyright IoE Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rayner, R.M
Rights Holder: Rayner, R.M
Cob, Render, Rubble, Slate, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Domestic, Jacobean Dwelling