This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS9646 CHURCH STEPS 900-1/3/14 (West side) 04/07/52 No.1 and attached wall to north-east (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STEPS (West side) No.1)
House. C16. Red sandstone rubble with some limestone, rendered to the north-east; C20 gabled plain tile roof with exposed rafter-ends; large external rubblestone stack off-set at and above the eaves with brick shaft to front (north-east) facade; rubblestone corbelled stack to first-floor left return. 2-unit plan with entry to right of hall with lateral stack to left of door, stair bay projecting to rear and first-floor room with corbelled stack. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Flat arches to mostly 2-light hollow-moulded pegged oak-framed windows with C20 leaded lights, some with grilles; similar small single-light window at eaves level to stair bay at rear. To right of the main stack a restored C16 chamfered oak doorcase and a planked and studded door with strap hinges, over it a small single-light window in an oak frame; to the far right are two C19 three-light casement windows. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as have a stone spiral stair to the rear. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a rubblestone wall approx 2m high and 3m long is attached to the south-east corner. HISTORY: in 1731 the Poor Rate became so burdensome that the parish meeting was convinced that it would be more economical to gather the poor together in a workhouse, so they leased Punter's tenement at the foot of Church Steps for a rent of 6.5s per annum. (Binding H: Minehead: A New History: Minehead: 1977-: 136).
Listing NGR: SS9663646729
Copyright IoE Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rayner, R.M
Rights Holder: Rayner, R.M
Limestone, Render, Rubble, Sandstone, Tile, Medieval House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Domestic, Dwelling, Wall, Barrier