This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BOVEY TRACEY EAST STREET (south side), SX 8178 Bovey Tracey
11/62 No. 21 The Manor House - 23.8.55 GV II*
House. Late medieval, superficially remodelled and probably enlarged in early or mid C19. Roughcast walls of stone, possibly with some cob. Slated roofs with blue glazed ridge-tiles; at east end of front range 2 old handmade ridge-tiles with low crestings. West gable of same range has stone coping with a kneeler at the front.
C19 red brick chimneystack on east gable, small rendered stack on west gable. In centre of front wall a projecting stack (heating former hall) with chamfered plinth and offsets; later rendered shaft on top. Late C19 or early C20 brick stack on west wall of rear wing. 3-room and through-passage plan with long lower room; rear kitchen wing, probably a later addition, at west end. 2 storeys. The front to East Street now has few windows. To left of the projecting stack is the 6-panelled front door with cast-iron knocker; the doorway has a moulded wood architrave and a flat hood on shaped brackets, the soffit of the hood and the space above the door panelled with raised margin-mouldings. To left of door a 2-light wood window with straight wooden hood-mould, the lights with pointed heads and leaded panes. Above the door a single-light window with hood-mould, the window containing a 4-pane wood casement with 2-pane transom-light. To right of stack the wall has been brought forward. At right-hand end of ground storey is a corner window with wooden hood- mould returned round the corner; at the front it has a sash with 8 panes in the lower section and 4 panes above, while at the side are 2 fixed panes with a transom- light over. The second storey has 2 wood casements of 3 lights, each light having 2 panes; right-hand window has a hood-mould. To right of this projection the front edge of the gable-wall is corbelled out in the second storey, almost exactly matching the corbels on the Little Front House (q.v.) at the west end of East Street. If this corbel is a pre-1700 feature (and not C19 revival) then this end of the front wall was timber-framed and jettied, a remarkable thing to find in a rural type of house, even if it was on the outskirts of the medieval town. In front of the house is a pavement of old cobbles.
The east gable-wall has no windows, although there is evidence of a blocked doorway on the ground storey. The west gable-wall has in the second storey 2 wood mullioned-and-transomed windows, each of 2 lights with 2 panes in each of the lower parts; straight hood-moulds above. In the apex of the gable is a window with pointed head and simple hood-mould, possibly a late C19 insertion, it contains a 2- light wood casement with 2 panes per light and a 3-pane transom-light. The west wall of rear wing has a second-storey window to left with a pointed head and straight hood-mould; it contains leaded panes and some coloured glass.
The garden front seems to have been the most important in C19, when it was embellished with Tudor detail. However, a sketch of circa 1853 shows a plain early C19 front, suggesting that the Tudor detail was added at a surprisingly late date.
The rear of main range is 3 windows wide; C20 glazed door in centre, having ogee- headed glazed porch with late C19 windows. To left in ground storey is a 3-light wood casement window with 2 panes per light; to right an 8-pane sash, the glazing- bars of upper sash forming pointed arches (not shown in circa 1853 drawing).
Second-storey windows all have 2-light wood casements with 2 panes per light. Every window, except that at right-hand end of second'storey, has a hood-mould. The inward-facing front of rear wing is 2 windows wide, all with 3-light wood casements having 2 panes per light; all with hood-moulds. Centre door with flush panel nailed over lower part, but 4 panels above; cast-iron knocker. Gabled wood porch with patterned glazing in side-windows (circa 1853 drawing shows simply a flat hood on brackets). To left is a slightly lower section of the wing, having a plank door in ground storey and a C20 window in second storey. In the garden is a pump (shown in circa 1853 drawing) with C20 wood casing, but old lead outlet pipe into granite trough.
Interior: former hall has large granite fireplace in front wall, hollow-moulded and with a flat lintel made of a single piece of granite. Plank-and-muntin partition at upper (west) end; studs chamfered both sides with diagonal-cut stops towards the hall. Several studs and panels missing; from the position of the pegs on head-beam it is difficult to see where original doorway would have been. Internal jetty projects into hall (which must formerly have been open to the roof); joist-ends are rounded and chamfered, with step-stops where they abut the partition. Lower (east) room has gable fireplace with splayed sides, the jambs and back made of very large granite ashlar blocks. Wooden cranked lintel, chamfered and with scroll-stops; though unusual, it seems to be a genuine C17 feature. It seems too small to have served a former kitchen. To its left is a deep, rounded recess, probably designed for a newel stair. Front and back windows of this room have beneath them C19 panes with pointed heads. Rear wing contains a large kitchen fireplace, its detail entirely concealed. In second storey the upper (west) end room has in gable-wall a corbelled granite chimneypiece with pyramid stops. Roof has complete set of medieval trusses, although the common rafters have been replaced. Trusses have cambered collar-beams and threaded purlins; there is provision for a ridge, but probably not an original one. Over the hall are 2 arch-braced trusses with slots for 2 tiers of windbraces, a few of which survive. At the upper (west) end of hall is a closed truss with a framed partition which is visible in second storey and corresponds to the front of the jetty in the hall. There is no closed truss at the lower end of the hall, or evidence that one existed. Since the arch-braces stop at this point, it seems likely there was only a low partition at this end of the hall.
The lower end of the roof had only one tier of windbraces, of which a few survive.
The roof-timbers over hall and lower end seem to be blackened; at the upper end (beyond the closed truss) the roof has been converted to a garret and the evidence concealed. The feet of the trusses, visible in second storey, seem to be curved; they may be raised crucks. Rear wing has C19 roof.
Source: Annie Croker sketchbook, 1853 (Devon Record Office, 2160A add.7/PZ3, p.5).
Listing NGR: SX8184678570
© Mr M J Medley. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Medley, M J
Rights Holder: Medley, M J
Cobble, Roughcast, Slate, Stone, Timber, Medieval House, Tudor Monument (By Form), Elizabethan Domestic, Dwelling, Open Hall House, Hall House, Pavement, Unassigned, Pump, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Supply Site
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.