This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 86 NW BOX DITTERIDGE
2/126 Church of St. Christopher
20 12 60
Anglican Parish Church, c1100, chancel C13, south porch C14, C15 alterations and 1860 restoration by E.W.Godwin. Rubble stone with stone tiled roofs, coped gables, cross finials to east and west ends and rebuilt gabled bellcote at nave east end. Nave and chancel, nave with C20 north vestry addition and south porch.
Nave c1100: C15 2-light west window with flat-head and hoodmould, one C15 north window east of vestry, east end buttresses each side and south side pair of Cl9 small cusped pointed lights, south porch, small c1100 arched-head light and 2-light C14 Decorated window with hoodmould. Dripcourse under C19 window. C14 coped- gabled south porch with roof raised in C19 at north end to accommodate door surround. Two-chamfer arch with hoodmould and 2 side buttresses. Stone seats within and 2 original arch-braced collar rafter trusses. Fine c1100 south doorway with carved animal imposts and carved head corbels to arched tympanum with frieze of 10 lyre or acanthus type motifs around. Cl9 frame of unmoulded columns, imposts and arch and Cl9 studded plank door. Chancel has 2 C15 south side flat-head windows with hoodmoulds flanking low C14 priest's door with hoodmould and C19 east window of 2 lancets with column shaft between and plate tracery cinquefoil over. Pointed stepped hoodmould.
Interior: C19 arched-braced collar rafter roofs. Nave south wall lined in ashlar. Pointed segmental arched north doorway. North side rood stair. Two low C14 Decorated recesses in south wall.
Circa 1100 chancel opening, arch raised in C13 with 2-chamfer pointed arch on half-octagonal corbels. Chancel with Cl9 ashlar lining to north and east walls, C13 south wall piscina with rose motif around drain. Circular Norman font with roll motif decoration. High Victorian banded stone pulpit in 2 colours with incised decoration. Stained glass of c1860 to chancel, east window by Bell of Bristol, faded and 2 south windows. Circa 1860 windows to nave north and south, faded, and west window c1864. Numerous reset C17 and C18 plaques, 2 on north wall of c1700 and c1748 in carved frames. (Pevsner: Wiltshire (1975) 220.)
Listing NGR: ST8179769519
© Mr Kim Aplin. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Aplin, Kim
Rights Holder: Aplin, Kim
Rubble, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Anglican Church
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.