This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 8268 BOX HIGH STREET
3/165 The Poynder Fountain
Drinking fountain, dated 1878, ashlar with pink granite column shafts and grey granite base with bowl to front and trough to rear.
Ornate Gothic structure with ashlar crocketted Gothic gable to front and rear carried on 2 ashlar piers rising from the grey granite base paired with outer pink granite piers rising from ground level. Narrow pierced side openings with small gable.
Centre front gable is pierced by pointed arch, richly carved with Poynder arms in apex. Rear similar arch is infilled by open 2 arch screen with cusping and cusped trefoil over. Granite centre and side shafts, centre capital is bronze with griffin water spouts at angles. Rear inscription recording W.H. Poynder of Hartham Park as donor of fountain and Col. Northey as donor of the spring and site.
Formerly surrounded by ornate iron railings, of which the stone plinth survives.
Listing NGR: ST8257668518
Copyright IoE Mr Kim Aplin. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Aplin, Kim
Rights Holder: Aplin, Kim
Ashlar, Granite, Stone, Victorian Drinking Fountain, Water Supply And Drainage, Fountain, Water Supply Site