Church Of St Ludwan / Church Of Saint Paul

Date:
29 Oct 1999
Location:
Church Of St Ludwan, Ludgvan, Penwith, Cornwall, TR20 8EZ
Show all locations
Church Of Saint Paul, Ludgvan, Penwith, Cornwall, TR20 8EZ
Reference:
IOE01/00083/11
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LUDGVAN LUDGVAN CHURCHTOWN SW 53 SW 8/37 Church of Saint Paul (formerly - listed as Church of St Ludwan) 10.6.54 GV II* Parish church. Norman font, resited Norman doorway, possibly Norman south wall of chancel, C15 tower, north arcade and parts of north aisle, otherwise rebuilt circa 1912 reusing some of the C15 window and other masonry. Granite ashlar tower, otherwise granite rubble walls with grafiite or freestone dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends.

Plan: nave/chancel under 1 roof; C15 west tower, C15 north aisle; 1912 south aisle and porch. At the 1912 restoration, much of the north aisle was rebuilt, the south aisle and south arcade probably entirely rebuilt, a doorway was cut through the ancient south wall of the chancel, all the roofs were renewed, the plaster stripped from the walls and the windows replaced or reset.

Exterior: virtually complete 2-stage C15 embattled west tower with basket-arched west doorway, 3-light window over and louvred windows to the bell chamber. Circa C12 north doorway, resited circa 1840, otherwise 1912 Perpendicular style features with reused C15 outer frames to some of the windows.

Interior: C15 6-bay north arcade; C15 4-centred tower arch springing from panelled octagonal responds, C15 basket-arched doorway to blocked rood stair in north wall; possibly C14 trefoil headed piscina; 2 blocked possibly C12 windows in south wall of chancel and some old plaster to one of them, otherwise circa 1912 features including south arcades and all the waggon roofs.

Fittings: C12 octagonal freestone font over later shaft and base; 1837 painted Victoria coat of arms over rood stair doorway, otherwise later C19 or C20 fittings.

Monuments: slate with carved figures of parents and 5 children to John South, Rector died 1637; slate to Ann, wife of Gull Borlase, Rector, died 1772; wall monument to Catherine, wife of Nicholas Davy, died 1635; painted panel to wife of RD (presumably Robert Davy), died 1703 and monument to Robert Davy, died 1796 aged 55 and Grace his wife, died 1826 aged 73, parents of the eminent inventor Sir Humphrey Davy.

Listing NGR: SW5052333036

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Clegg_Richard IOE Records for Clegg, Richard; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Richard Clegg. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Clegg, Richard

Rights Holder: Clegg, Richard

Keywords

Ashlar, Granite, Rubble, Stone, West Country Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument