This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 56 SE CHEW MAGNA C.P. HARFORD SQUARE (west side)
3/38 Harford House 21.9.60 G.V. II
House. Built 1817 for Mary Harford with late C19 additions and some C20 alterations. Coursed sandstone freestone with white pointing, limestone dressings, triple Roman tiled mansard roof with ridge and gable stacks (missing to left), rendered to sides and rear, plain tiled roof to C19 wing and black pantiles to rear. 2 storeys and 5 windows, all with plain reveals, white voussoirs and projecting keystone, ground floor 4 plate-glass sashes, first floor sashes; central 6-panelled door with decorative fanlight, pilasters and open pediment; plinth, limestone cornice, parapet and coping, parapet ramped up at sides and ramped up at returns to stacks, 2 double dormers, central single dormer. Right return has cellar door to left, external steps to ground floor C20 glass doors, 2 C19 2-light casements at attic level. Rear has 2-storey late C19 wing to left with bow at corner, 5-light window at ground and first floor, to right, 2 doors with continuous flat hood, first floor right has two 6-pane lights and two 6-pane lights in gable end. Central 2-storey bow has tall round-headed window (probably stair light) and 2-light casement at first floor, single storey addition with two 4-pane lights; to right, a single storey addition with door to right and 4-pane sash to rear; rear of main house to right has sash at ground and first floor with wrought-iron window box at first floor. Interior: not inspected.
Listing NGR: ST5751963188
Copyright IoE Mr Charles Hallsworth. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hallsworth, Charles
Rights Holder: Hallsworth, Charles
Limestone, Pantile, Render, Sandstone, Tile, Georgian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling