This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 52NE CUERDALE (off) CUERDALE LANE
5/3 Carthouse and stable c. 30 metres south of Cuerdale Hall
Carthouse and stable building, probably c.1700. Stone plinth, sandstone front wall, others brick, slate roof. Long rectangular plan, with chimney stack and external steps to loft at right end. Two storeys. Front wall of coursed roughly squared red sandstone, larger quoins. Right half of ground floor is continuous opening, lintel a re-used bridging beam supported by 2 tapered hexagonal stone columns; 1st floor has 4 square pitching holes and two square loft windows. In centre of rear wall at 1st floor level is a 3-light chamfered brick mullion window now blocked.
Interior includes very large bridging beams with stopped ovolo moulding, apparently in situ. (Given as "Retainers' Loft": F. Coupe Walton-le-Dale 1954)
Listing NGR: SD5764829397
Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foster, K.
Rights Holder: Foster, K.
Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Stuart Cart Shed, Georgian Transport, Road Transport Site, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building