This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 52NE WALTON-LE-DALE VICTORIA ROAD
5/139 Walton Bridge - (also known as Ribble Bridge)
Bridge over River Ribble, 1779-81, by J, S, and R. Laws (see below), much widened on the west side 1939-50 by Ormerod and Shields. Stone.
V-shaped cutwaters; 3 long segmental arches with rusticated voussoirs flanked by stepped pilasters; dentilled cornice and plain parapet moulded on the top. At centre of inner face of east parapet is incised lettering: RIBBLE BRIDGE BUILT by John Sam L & Robt Laws Under the Inspection of in 1779. 80 & 81 Mr. Richd Threlfall cost 4,200
Replaced earlier bridge which was c. 90 metres downstream; site of earliest and, until 1755, only bridge at Preston.
Part of this bridge is in Preston former CB(q,v.).
Listing NGR: SD5528628714
Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Foster, K.
Rights Holder: Foster, K.
Stone, Georgian Bridge, Monument <By Form>, Transport, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument