This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST22NE CREECH ST MICHAEL CP BULL STREET (North side)
6/68 Church of St michael
Parish church. C13 nave and chancel, late C13 tower and North chapel, circa 1300 South chapel, rest C15 Perpendicular, slightly altered 1825, restored and vestry added 1868. Random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges.
4 bay nave, chancel, North East vestry, North chapel, North tower, 2 bay North aisle, South chapel and South porch.
Crenellated 4-stage tower, string courses, trefoil headed 2-light louvred bell openings, 3-light below obscured by clock face, 2-light above ribbed North door, projecting 2-stage crenellated tower entered at first floor via external flight of steps; 3-light windows to North aisle and at gabled West end, 4-light in gabled West end to nave above pointed arch West door with rectangular hood mould, flanked by niches said to contain the figures of St. Michael and the Crucifixion, 3-light window in South wall of nave, gabled unbuttressed porch with unmoulded semi-circular headed opening, niche above, C19 wagon roof, remains of canopied niche in East wall, pointed arch chamfered inner doorway with C16 ribbed door. Porch abuts chapel to East, South wall splaying out and supported by wooden props at time of sunvey (March 1984), 3-light mullioned window with single-light above, both under hoodmoulds, 3-light window on East wall, 2- and 3-light in chancel flanking priest's door, diagonal buttress, 3-light East window, door on West front, 3-light window to North chapel. Interior: white- washed. Remains of C17-C18 wall paintings in spandrels of North and South nave walls. Very large semi-circular Perpendicular chancel arch, tower arches to North chapel and nave chamfered in 2 orders, pointed moulded tower arch to North aisle, arch between nave and chapel also chamfered in 2 orders. Gilded open wagon roof to chancel without wallplate, nave open wagon roof with bosses and wallplate, similar in North chapel, remains of compartment ceiling in tower, flat roof to aisle, shallow plaster wagon roof to South chapel. Arches of tower grouped in threes linked by rope-like bases, 2 bay Perpendicular arcade with rosette capitals to North aisle.
Rood loft door in East wall of North chapel, originally external wall, passage cut in nave wall above arch with 3 square openings and cyma recta corbel, 3-light cinquefoil headed window in East wall to vestry, niche cut in splayed jamb of similar window in North wall to left of table tomb without effigy, to Robert Cuff died 1593/7. Aumbry in chancel; crocketed niche in jamb of North aisle pier; West end wooden gallery with raised and fielded-panels, carved swags of fruit, originally painted, approached by flight of steps set against West wall of North aisle. South chapel; piscina and remains of plasterwork decoration of circa 1700. 2 Royal Coats of Arms, one dated 1636. Good pedimented wall tablet to John Keyt died 1732, fine slate slab to James Trivell died 1728, collection of C17 floor slabs; hatchments. Low-panelled chancel screen. Perpendicular font. Reading desk dated 1634. Early C17 pulpit. C16 bench ends in chancel, The North aisle belonged to the Court Barton (qv) estate until the C20. 'An uncommonly interesting church' Pevsner. (Photographs in NMR; Kellys Directory 1897; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST2746425290
Copyright IoE Mr Mick Humphreys. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Humphreys, Mick
Rights Holder: Humphreys, Mick
Rubble, Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Table Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Gravestone, Grave Marker, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque