This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MORCHARD BISHOP FORE STREET (south-west side) SS 7607 - 7707 Morchard Bishop 11/160 Methodist Chapel, including area - walls and railings to front GV II
Methodist Chapel, former Bible Christian Chapel. 1846. Snecked purple mudstone front with mudstone rubble to sides and rear with small amount of granite dressing; slate roof. Chapel with small entrance lobby on front with gallery over. Gable endfold onto street facing north-east. Symmetrical 3-window front of tall, narrow round- headed windows with glazing bars, the upper panes have gothic pointed-arch heads.
Central window slightly higher and is shorter over front door, 6-panel door and fanlight over with radial pattern of glazing bars. Above central window is rectangular stone plaque inscribed 'Emanuel Chapel, 1846'. Low pitch gable with coping on kneelers and granite ball finial at apex. Left side shows patch of blocking of former door. Each side has single tall round-headed window with glazing bars and rear end has high oculus window.
Interior has mostly late C19 furnishings including gallery. Front left end front corner rubble wall extends forward to street where it drops in height and returns across front as footings for late C19 cast-iron railings which have spear heads and include central gate and also line stepped approach to front door.
Listing NGR: SS7680807715
Copyright IoE Michael Woodhead. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Woodhead, Michael
Rights Holder: Woodhead, Michael
Granite, Rubble, Shale, Slate, Victorian Bible Christian Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Methodist Chapel, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Plaque, Railings, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Wall