This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NZ 26 NW BARRACK ROAD (North East side) 1833/8/81 Former officers' mess, Fenham Barracks 17.12.71
Artillery barracks officers' mess; now student accommodation. 1804-06, by James Wyatt, Surveyor General to the Ordnance Board, converted c1994. English bond brick with brown sandstone dressings, brick ridge stacks and slate hipped valley roof. Late Georgian style. Single-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement; 7-window range. Symmetrical front with ashlar basement and plinth, first-floor cill band and eaves frieze and cornice, with the 1-window end sections set forward; central entrance has Tuscan columns to entablature blocks with Royal Artillery shields and an open pediment, in front of a round-arched doorway on pilasters with a radial fanlight and late C20 6-panel door. Round-arched late C20 ground-floor horned 6/6-pane sashes, the end ones set within matching arched recesses, and segmental-arched first-floor horned 2/2-pane sashes; matching rear has a central round-arched stair light over the entrance which cuts through the cill band. 3-bay returns have openings at the front, the outer ones blind, and the middle ground-floor window set within a round-arched recess. INTERIOR: Completely rebuilt c1994. HISTORY: The Ordnance Board were responsible during the Napoleonic War for Artillery barracks. One of the earliest surviving officers' messes in the country, the only example of a stone barracks from this period, and with the sergeants' mess and guard houses (qqv) a small part of the former Fenham Artillery Barracks. (Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series: Breihan J: Army Barracks in the NE in the Era of the French Revolution: 1990-: 171).
Listing NGR: NZ2377265023