This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 36 SE TOWN OF CLAY CROSS CEMETERY ROAD 2/21 (North Side) Cemetery Chapels II
Pair of adjoining cemetery chapels. 1878. Red brick with sandstone dressings.
Slate roofs with crested terracotta ridge tiles. Stone coped gables, gableted to eaves and ridge, with moulded kneelers. Ridge finials. Plinth. Corbelled eaves.
Two adjoining chapels with central porches to either side. Central tower between to south,with trefoil headed lancet to south and Caernarvon arched door to west.
Quatrefoil windows with hoodmoulds, to all sides above. To either side of tower, pointed 3-light windows with geometric tracery set in recess. Hoodmoulds over.
Above, stringcourse and three, blocked up, stepped niches. Above, in tower, louvred mullion and transomed bell openings to all sides with cusped lights. Carved string- course over with corner gargoyles. Pyramidal spire above with corner pinnacles and traceried lucarnes to sides. Similar, smaller, lucarnes over to all sides. East elevation: central gabled porch with double chamfered pointed doorcase with hood- mould. Four-centred arched door with tracery above. Stringcourse over, two florets and a blocked niche in gable. To north and south sides of porch, 2-light chamfered mullion windowsin terracotta. Trefoil headed lancets to either side.
West elevation identical. Interiors very plain. Eastern chapel used as store.
Western chapel with plain wooden pews.
Listing NGR: SK3973562869
Copyright IoE Mr Neil Haddy. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haddy, Neil
Rights Holder: Haddy, Neil
Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Terracotta, Tile, Victorian Cemetery Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building