This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 36 SE TOWN OF CLAY CROSS HIGH STREET 2/26 (West Side) St Bartholomew's Church II
Church. 1851 by Stevens, vestry of 1859 by G E Street. Coursed squared rock-faced sandstone. Sandstone dressings and quoins. Plinth. Continuous sill bands to nave aisle windows. Eaves band on carved corbels. Steeply pitched Westmorland slate roofs. Stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. Ridge crosses to east gable ends. West tower, nave, nave aisles, lower chancel, north vestry and south porch.
Early English Style. West tower has stepped clasping buttresses up to fourth stage.
Trefoil headed west door. Lancets with moulded hoods to north and south. Projecting stair turret to north east corner with trefoil windows. Over door, two lancets joined by thin blind lancet. All with moulded hoods. Third stage has small lancets to north and south, trefoil window to west. Above triple lancet, louvred bell opening to all sides with corner pilasters to sides and stringcourse on carved corbels over. Broached spire above with gabled lucarnes to all sides. Plate tracery west nave aisle window to north. North elevation: four double lancets with moulded hoods. Stepped buttresses between. Above, to clerestory, four trefoil windows.
Projecting north vestry to east. Central moulded doorcase with nook shafts to sides. Pointed plate tracery windows either side. Buttresses to corners. C20 addition to east with 5-light ogee topped window to east. Above plate tracery window to vestry.
4-light east window with geometric tracery. Gableted buttresses to either side.
Two lancets with moulded hoods to south chancel wall. Double lancet with triple lancets either side to south nave aisle. Buttresses between windows. South porch with elaborately moulded doorcase, nook shafts to sides. Double lancet windows to either side of porch. Interior: alternating arcades of octagonal and circular piers with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Hoodmoulds over with carved head label stops. Similar tall tower and chancel arches. Scissor truss roof to chancel.
Large roll moulded arch through to north aisle chapel to north of chancel, filled by wooden tracery. Trefoil headed piscina to east. Elaborately cusped wooden door to north chapel from north aisle. Chapel has blind arcaded walls. One William Morris & Co window in south aisle to William Howe, inventor of link motion for locomotives.
Contemporary cusped stone and wood pulpit. Re-used C15 octagonal font with traceried panels to sides and base.
Listing NGR: SK3913663299
© Mr Neil Haddy. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haddy, Neil
Rights Holder: Haddy, Neil
Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.