This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5675 DOWNLEAZE, Sneyd Park 901-1/31/1791 (South East side) Nos.29 AND 31 and attached front garden walls and piers
Pair of attached houses. Dated 1893. By Henry Dare Bryan. Snecked limestone rubble with limestone dressings, brick second floor, brick ridge and gable stacks and a concrete tile hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Queen Anne style. Each of 3 storeys; 2-window range. A symmetrical pair has paired gables projecting from the centre, side entrances, and stone-framed ground-floor mullion and transom casements, and first-floor mullion 9/1-pane sashes. Doorways have pilasters to cornices above mullion overlights, steeply ramped panels above with date pads and flanking dolphins, and panelled 2-leaf doors with a raised central diamond. Ground-floor bays to the gables with a central cross window, and a balustraded balcony with a carved frieze below; narrower first-floor bay has a swept roof to a finial, removed from No.29, and small second-floor 4/4-pane sashes either side of the bay roof below an overhanging timber-framed gable top on corbels. Outer ground-floor 3-light windows beneath a sloping roof, and paired 9/1-pane first-floor windows; coved eaves. Stone eaves; the front roof extends sideways to form a projecting end dormer, which includes the corbelled gable-end stacks. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front garden walls and piers with ball finials. The early part of a development influenced by Norman Shaw's Bedford Park, 1881.
Listing NGR: ST5654875165
Copyright IoE Mrs Joy Roddy. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Roddy, Joy
Rights Holder: Roddy, Joy
Brick, Concrete, Limestone, Rubble, Tile, Victorian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Garden Wall, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Wall, Barrier, Column, Unassigned, Building Component, Building