This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5775 DOWNLEAZE, Sneyd Park 901-1/31/1796 (South East side) 04/03/77 Nos.40 AND 42 and attached front garden walls and ball finials (Formerly Listed as: DOWNLEAZE Nos.45, 47 AND 36-42 (Even))
Pair of attached houses. 1898. By Henry Dare Bryan. Snecked limestone rubble and dressings, tile-hung top floor, brick ridge and diagonally-set external stacks and tiled gabled and hipped roof. Queen Anne style. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys and basement; 3-window range. A well-detailed, near symmetrical front with projecting paired central gables, and a matching gable in the Julian Road right elevation. The entrance to the right of the gables has a large Tuscan porch and a segmental-arched 2-leaf door with a lozenge panel, that in the left return has an eared architrave with a panel above to a 2-leaf ridged door. Ground-floor stone-framed mullion and transom leaded casements, timber first-floor windows with plate-glass casements, leaded above the transoms, and second-floor casements projecting slightly on small brackets. The ground-floor is divided by a raked buttress to the party wall, and 4-light windows either side with a central king mullion, under a parapet with a cartouche; first-floor canted bays have Ipswich windows, with tapering octagonal columns from the ends of the parapet to the overhanging gable above; second-floor 4-light casements, under modillion eaves. To the right, flanking the doorway, is a large chimney breast, and to the left a ground-floor segmental bow window beneath a balcony, with 3-light windows to the ground and first floors, and a gabled second-floor eaves dormer. INTERIOR: hall screen with stained-glass half-glazed door and side lights, a tiled central hall, and a fireplace and built-in dresser cupboards in the rear right-hand room; the stairs were removed when the house was converted to flats. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front garden walls and piers with ball finials. Strongly influenced by Norman Shaw's Bedford Park, 1881. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 398).
Listing NGR: ST5648675077