This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HEDDON-ON-THE-WALL CLOSE HOUSE NZ 16 NW 20/132 Stable block and attached wall approx 60 28.4.69 yards north-west of Close House
Stable block. Early C18 and 1779. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Partly rebuilt in old brick to rear. Three ranges round courtyard with low wall and gateway closing south side. 2 storeys. Older 6-bay rear range with chamfered plinth and rusticated quoins. Doorways with 'Gibbs' surrounds in 2nd and 5th bays. 4-pane windows in raised surrounds. Wall clock in centre of range.
Symmetrical and identical side ranges. Flat-topped plinth and no quoins.
6 bays with 2 segmental-arched carriage doors in centre bays; oeil-de-boeuf windows above junction of arches, flanked by cruciform slits. Outer bays have doors and windows in raised surrounds.
Hipped roofs; louvred bell turret in centre of rear range.
On south side of yard low ashlar wall, with flat coping, broken in centre by gateway with square rusticated piers.
Listing NGR: NZ1262665922
Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Black, J.H.
Rights Holder: Black, J.H.
Ashlar, Brick, Slate, Stuart Stable, Georgian Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Gate, Unassigned, Gate Pier, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces