This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING TQ6599 HIGH STREET, Ingatestone 723-1/14/398 (South East side) 10/04/67 Church of St Edmund and St Mary (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD HIGH STREET, Ingatestone (South East side) Church of St Edmund and St Mary)
GV I Parish church. Late C11, C15, C16 and C17, restored and extended in C18 and C19. The nave is of coursed rectangular blocks of indurated conglomerate with lacing courses and quoins of Roman brick and tiles, with some pebble rubble. Chancel, N and S chapels and W tower of red brick in various bonds. S aisle of pebble rubble with some reused conglomerate and Roman brick and tile from the S wall of the nave. Roof of handmade red clay tiles. Nave late C11, chancel enlarged before C16, S aisle C15, S chapel Cl6, N chapel early C17, W-tower c1500, N organ chamber C19, attached church hall to N, C20. CHANCEL: has an E wall of red brick in irregular Flemish bond, probably late C17, with a C19 window. In the N wall opening into the N chapel is an early C17 4-centred brick archway of 3 chamfered orders, with C19 jambs; further W is a C19 opening for the organ. On the S side is a C16 brick arcade of 3 bays with 4-centred arches of 3 chamfered orders on octagonal pillars and semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases; the bricks have been coloured and re-pointed with cement mortar; the W respond is partly restored. There is no chancel-arch. The roof is C19. N CHAPEL: is early C17, repaired in the early C19. The E wall is of original red brick in English bond to a height of 1.50m, rebuilt above with early C19 handmade bricks in Flemish bond. The E window is early C19, of two 4-centred transomed lights with a chamfered and mitred wooden frame and tracery with a square head. The N and W walls are of early C17 brick in English bond with diaper patterns of black headers. The RCHM reported the initials W P formed in black bricks on the W gable (for_William Petre), of which the second letter is now covered by a modern stack. The N doorway is C19. The roof is in 5 cants, plastered, probably mainly original. S CHAPEL: is reported to have been built as a chantry chapel in 1556 (Starr, 1980, 77). The RCHM reported a stone in the E wall carved with the initials W.P. and A.P. and a shield carved in relief with the Petre arms; it is now weathered beyond recognition. The chapel is of red brick in English bond, with minor C20 repairs. The E window is of three 4-centred and transomed lights with a square head and chamfered 4- centred rear-arch. In the S wall are 2 windows, the eastern of 3 and the western of 2 plain 4-centred lights with square heads. The SE diagonal buttress is original, the SW buttress is C19/20. The roof is in 5 cants, originally plastered, now stripped, with an ovolo-moulded N wallplate. NAVE: has a NW angle of Roman bricks. In the N wall are 2 windows, C19 except the splays and rear-arches; the eastern as a segmental rear-arch, the western has chamfered jambs and chamfered semicircular rear-arch. Further W is the partly restored and scraped late C14 N doorway with moulded jambs and 2-centred head and label. The label stops are much eroded; the RCHM reported that they were of human faces, the E of a woman with braided hair, c1370-80. The rear-arch is chamfered and 3-centred; the doorway is blocked internally. The S arcade is of 3 bays with 4-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders carried on piers of 4-shaft-4-hollow section, with half-columns as responds, all with moulded capitals and bases. E of the arcade on the S side is a blocked doorway of clunch to a former rood-stair, with chamfered jambs and a 4-centred arch. The roof is C14/15, of crownpost construction, comprising 27 rafter couples all with soulaces, 3 hollow-chamfered straight tie-beams, and 3 octagonal crownposts with moulded capitals and bases and 4-way bracing; the E tie-beam and crownpost have been renewed, the middle tie-beam has been splinted with steel, and the braces of the W crownpost have been crudely reconstructed from reused timber, not matching the others in design. The wallplates are moulded, the greater parts renewed.
The S wall of the S aisle has 2 windows, C19 except the splays and chamfered segmental-pointed rear-arch of the eastern window, which are probably C15. Further W is the C15 S doorway with jambs and 2-centred head in 2 chamfered orders, restored externally; internally the jambs and segmental/rear-arch are chamfered. In the W wall is a window which is C19 externally and plastered internally. The roof is C19. W TOWER: c1500, is of red brick in English bond with diaper patterns, crosses, etc, formed in black headers. It is of 4 stages externally, 3 internally, with a stepped and crenellated parapet having a corbel-table of trefoiled arches; at the angles are octagonal pinnacles with moulded tops. In the SE angle is a semi-octagonal stair-turret lit by 6 plain rectangular loops, and a C19 doorway. The brick tower-arch is 2-centred and of 2 chamfered and 2 square orders; the jambs are reduced to one chamfered and 2 square orders, with plain bases; it has been re-pointed with cement mortar. The W window, partly restored, is of three 4-centred lights and plain tracery under a 4-centred arch, the jambs and arch of 2 moulded and 2 chamfered orders. The W doorway is of 2 moulded and 2 chamfered orders with a 4-centred arch under a square head with recessed spandrels. The third stage has in the N and S walls a single round-headed light of 3 square orders; in the W wall is a window, partly restored, of two 4-centred lights with jambs and arch of 2 square orders. The bell-chamber has in the E, N and W walls a window of two 4-centred lights under a 4-centred head; in the S wall is a similar window of one light; all have jambs and arches of 2 square orders. The tower has an original floor of heavy joists of horizontal section with a framed bell-trap. FITTINGS: in the S wall of the S aisle is a C15 piscina of clunch with a round basin and chamfered 2-centred head. Under the arch of the N chapel is a wrought-iron screen of plain pointed strikes with 3 stanchions surmounted by urns, gate towards the W end, late C17/early C18. On the N wall of the nave, W of the C19 pulpit, is a wrought-iron holder for an hour-glass, early C18. There are 5 bells, the third by Peter Hawkins, 1610, the fifth by Miles Graye, 1660. In the chancel is a small brass of a shield of arms, with indent for missing figure, probably of Eustace Bernard, early C16, and 2 other indents for inscription-plates. MONUMENTS: in the chancel on the S side, monuments (1) of Sir William Petre, Privy Councillor to Edward VI, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, Chancellor of the Order of the Garter, 1571-2, and Anne (Browne) his second wife; on altar-tomb (illustrated in RCHM, 139), alabaster effigies of man in plate armour, head against helmet, feet against crest, and of lady with close head-dress, brocaded skirt, cloak and fur stole, feet on lozenge of arms; both effigies on a rush mattress; altar-tomb on two steps, sides divided into three panels by Doric columns of Purbeck and veined marble, each panel enriched with a shell-head and elaborate cartouche of arms; a similar panel at each end; in head of arch over tomb, ornamental ironwork supporting an alabaster oval plaque with achievement of arms surrounded by a chain with rose pendant encircled by a Garter, attributed to Cornelius Cure, Crown Mason. In N chapel (2) to Mary, widow of Robert, Lord Petre, 1684-5, plain grey marble altar-tomb (illustrated in RCHM, 138) with panelled sides and a top of polished touch with lozenge of arms; (3) of John, Lord Petre of Writtle, 1613, Mary (Waldegrave) his wife, and Katherine, daughter of Edward Somerset, Early of Worcester and wife of William, second Lord Petre, 1624; monument erected by William, second Lord Peter; elaborate wall-monument of alabaster and marble, and of three bays with plinth and canopy; against plinth kneeling figures in high relief of four daughters and eight sons; the three bays divided by black marble Corinthian columns, the centre bay with a round and the side bays with a flat arch, all with coffered soffits; in the centre bay on raised base figures of man in armour, and woman, both with fur-lined cloaks and kneeling at a prayer-desk; in side bays at a lower level kneeling figures of a woman on the N and a man on the S, similar to those of the centre bay; behind each a shield of arms; above a panelled attic with cornice supporting obelisks and three cartouches of arms. In S chapel on E wall, (4) of Robert Petre, 1593, of various marbles with kneeling figure of man in plate armour under a round arch and flanked by Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with achievement of arms, painted and gilt; (5) of Capt. John Troughton, 1621, marble tablet with oval panel carved in high relief with bust of man in enriched armour with diagonal sash; on each side a panelled pilaster and over all a broken pediment and oval medallion, attributed to Epiphanius Evesham; (6) of Thomas Walmesley, 1775, James Walmesley, 1777, and his sister Mrs Margaret Colegrave 1768, white marble tablet. On the N wall of nave (7) of Thomas Pease, 1781, and Elizabeth his wife, 1785, black and white marble tablet with pediment, 3 medallions missing. In the chancel are floor-slabs (1) to Gertrude (Tyrell), first wife of Sir William Petre (1541), in black marble; (2) to Frances, wife of James Austin, 1698, and James Austin, 1699, in black marble with moulded edge and achievement of arms; (3) to Pierce Lloyd, Rector, 1770, in black marble; and (4) to Thomas Brand-Hollis, 1804, in black marble; in the N chapel (5) to John Petre, 1669, in black marble with shield of arms; (6) to Brigite (Pynchon), widow of William, Lord Petre, 1694, in black marble with shield of arms; (7) to Mary, daughter of Thomas, Lord Petre, 1713, in white marble, with lozenge of arms; in the S chapel (8) to Robert Manning of Amsterdam, 1730; (9) to Matthew Fogarty, 1702, with achievement of arms. In the N chapel is a painted royal arms of Charles II dated 1673, and 2 C18 benefactions boards. (Starr C: A Guide to Essex Churches: 1980-: 77).
Listing NGR: TQ6512299592