This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX4854SW THE PARADE, Barbican 740-1/62/92 (South side) 25/01/54 No.18 Old Custom House (Formerly Listed as: PARADE, Plymouth No.18 (Old Custom House))
Merchant's house, later used as customs house, now a shop. 1586 and inscription "A 1623 K" over right-hand doorway. Coursed Plymouth limestone rubble with granite dressings; steep dry slate roof laid to diminishing courses, the right-hand end coped, marking position of former roof level; large rubble end stacks with drip courses. Deep plan built around a courtyard. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with very tall upper storey; 4-window range with much evidence of old alterations to some openings.
1st floor has 4 2-light chamfered mullioned windows under a string course and relieving arches. Ground floor has wide doorway on the left and narrow doorway with relieving arch on the right, both these original doorways moulded and with 4-centred arches, square hoodmoulds and carved spandrels, the doorway on the left is probably resited, perhaps originally belonging to a courtyard wall. Between these doorways is a widened opening with a C20 shop window and above the centre of this is a relieving arch of similar size to those on the 1st floor. It is possible that the window to 1st-floor left, that must be reinstated, having at some time been converted to a loading doorway, is a reused window from the ground-floor centre. INTERIOR: not inspected but former list description notes a modern interior. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 663).
Listing NGR: SX4814654174
Copyright IoE Mr Derek Hiscock. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hiscock, Derek
Rights Holder: Hiscock, Derek
Devonian Limestone, Granite, Rubble, Slate, Tudor Merchants House, Elizabethan Domestic, House, Dwelling, Custom House, Civil, Maritime, Maritime Office, Shop, Commercial