The Manor House With Attached Malthouse To Rear

Date:
6 Nov 1999
Location:
The Manor House With Attached Malthouse To Rear, Church Road, Kilmington, Salisbury, Wiltshire
Reference:
IOE01/00203/01
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

KILMINGTON CHURCH ROAD ST 73 NE (east side) 3/74 The Manor House with attached Malthouse to rear GV II Detached house with former malthouse to rear. Probably C17, altered mid C19, early C20. Rubblestone, Welsh slate roof with brick stacks. L-plan. Two-storey, 3-window west front. Gabled C19 two-storey porch with Tudor-arched doorway, studded door, 3- light chamfered mullioned casement with hoodmould over door, heraldic arms of Panter family, ornate bargeboards, 3-light casement to left and two 3-light casements to right. First floor has 3-light casement to left and 2-light casement to right of porch, straight joint divides left hand bay from rest. Left return has C20 casements with gothic glazing bars. Right return has gabled porch with planked door, 3-light casement to left and 2- light casement to right, two 3-light casements and one 2-light to first floor. Square bellcote to roof with weathervane. Rear of main range has early C20 square bays with leaded casements, picturesque slate verandah, gabled bay to left with C19 timber- frame, lean-to extension to left with planked door and 3-light leaded casement.

Interior has deep chamfered beams, some good joinery including, doors with 4 fielded panels or 6 panels. Central drawing room has C19 panelling with carved frieze in C17 style; similar panelling in porch. Open fireplace with reset C17 richly carved pilasters, Delft tile fireback. C19 fireplace in north room has reset C17 carved wooden panels. Large malthouse attached to rear probably c.1800, rubblestone with slate roof, 3-storey with small fixed windows and casements, interior retains beams to removed floors.

Katherine Pleydell-Bouverie, the potter, lived here until her death in 1985: her workroom was in the malthouse. The Hartgill family, agents to Lords Stourton lived here until C19, Panters acquired house c.1860 and made extensive alterations, including porch.

(Countryside Treasures, 1969).

Listing NGR: ST7720536538

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Cotton_G.M. IOE Records for Cotton, G.M.; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr G.M. Cotton. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cotton, G.M.

Rights Holder: Cotton, G.M.

Keywords

Rubble, Stone, Timber, Welsh Slate, Stuart Detached House, Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Malt House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Food And Drink Processing Site, Agricultural Building, Industrial, Brewing And Malting Site, Food And Drink Industry Site, Pottery Workshop, Workshop, Industrial Building, Pottery Manufacturing Site, Mineral Product Site, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument