This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BARHAM CHURCH LANE TM 15 SW 3/10 Barham Manor 9.12.55 - II
House, formerly manor house. C.1600, with alterations of early C20. Two storeys and attics. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan. Red brick in irregular English bond, perhaps originally plastered. Crow-stepped parapet gables.
Plaintiled roofs with original chimneys of red brick; an axial stack between hall and parlour has a square base and 4 octagonal flues with star-tops. At the left-hand gable is a similar 2-flue stack; another similar surmounts the crow-stepped gable of the original rear wing behind the parlour. C20 casement dormers with gabled roofs. Mainly original mullioned and transomed windows of plastered brick, simulating limestone, with hollow-chamfered mullions; of 10 lights at ground storey and 8 above, with C20 leaded casements. C20 single- storey gabled entrance porch of red brick with boarded and battened door. At 1st floor level is a carved limestone coat of arms sunk within a moulded border. In the parlour the ceiling joists are ovolo-moulded; other exposed framing is plain. A number of small open fireplaces are original features, with elliptical heads. The house was altered in early C20 and a wing was added to rear left.
Listing NGR: TM1422051033
Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Curtis, B.A.
Rights Holder: Curtis, B.A.
Brick, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Tudor Manor House, Elizabethan Domestic, Stuart House, Jacobean Dwelling, Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building