Church Of The Holy Trinity

Date:
8 Sep 1999
Location:
Church Of The Holy Trinity, Manor Road, Wallington, Sutton, Greater London, SM6 0AA
Reference:
IOE01/00216/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

MANOR ROAD 1.

4430 (North-East Side) WALLINGTON Church of the Holy Trinity TQ 2864 SE 24/105 C 2.

Consecrated 1867; designed by Habershon and Brock. Flint with Bath stone dressings.

Plain tile roofs. C14 style. 4-bay nave. North and South aisles; gabled porch at west end of south aisle. Square tower with gargoyles and stone spire. 3- and 4-light Decorated windows. Chancel; semi-octagonal apse. 3 stained glass windows by A O Hemming and Co. A description on display within says that the present edifice was built to resemble the description of the old Chapel of Wallington; the old Chapel had been demolished about 1791 and the foundations were re-discovered only in 1921, much after the rebuilding of Holy Trinity. Each window of Holy Trinity was designed to have tracery of a different pattern; west window of South aisle, for instance, was based on window in Church of Little St Mary's, Cambridge, which was erected about 1350.

Listing NGR: TQ2879364467

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Taverner_Robert IOE Records for Taverner, Robert; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Robert Taverner. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Taverner, Robert

Rights Holder: Taverner, Robert

Keywords

Bath Stone, Flint, Tile, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship