This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
POUND STREET 1.
4430 (North-West Side) CARSHALTON Carshalton House TQ 2764 SE 20/160 16.3.54.
1696-1713; Edward Carleton purchased property here in 1696; in 1713 Carshalton House was seized by the Crown to meet a revenue debt of 16,000 incurred by Edward Carleton and an inventory was made of the House and its contents; this inventory refers to 2 sets of 7 bedrooms and a "painted parlour" on the ground floor which are all features of the house today. In 1714, John Fellowes [Sir John Fellowes after 1719] Sub-Governor of the South Sea Company purchased the house. He added the 3rd storey to replace the former attic storey with dormers and the 4 bay loggia to the west of the south front and made various alterations to the interior; he was also responsible for commissioning the laying out of the grounds in landscape style together with the erection of ornamental buildings [see Water Tower and Hermitage or Grotto].
Exterior. South front of 3 storeys, brown brick with profuse red rubber brick dressings. 1-2-3-2-1 windows, the centre and ends projecting for full height with angle piers. Moulded plinth, moulded band at 1st floor level, heavy carved wood modillioned cornice over 1st floor, top floor with simple cornice and blocking course, hipped slate roof. Ground and 1st floor windows with recessed aprons; sash windows in recessed cased frames throughout. Central entrance with 7 splayed stone steps with moulded nosings and original wrought iron balustrades; wood doorcase circa 1760 with Corinthian columns and back pilasters, architrave, frieze, cornice and pediment. Rear elevation similar general character. East elevation similar but narrower; central doorcase, similar steps and rails. The doorcase (? late C17) with carved moulded surround, panelled pilasters, carved brackets, pulvinated frieze, and enriched and curved pediment with enriched tympanum.
4-bay loggia at west end of west front with late C19 1st floor addition. Interior.
Entrance Hall at West end of house with Ionic wall columns and intersecting barrel vault, dating probably from occupancy of Sir John Fellowes. Library, centre of South front, with oak bolection moulded panelling and carved door heads.
Oak Par1our, centre East side of house, with similar panelling, overmantel Gibbons style carving with coat of arms of Sir John Fellowes. Principal door of room with Ionic columns and pediment, rococo marble mantlepiece and rococo ceiling both of circa 1760. Painted Parlour, North of this, with bolection moulded panelling painted with landscapes by Robert Robertson. Blue Parlour, South of Entrance Hall, with elaborate decorations circa mid C18. Stair Hall to North of Entrance Hall with carved oak staircase. Panelling to bedrooms and gallery.
Possible traces of the Manor House or Old Farm which occupied the site of Carshalton House before 1696 exist in a portion of flint and chalk walling recently found in one of the classroom walls.
Listing NGR: TQ2755164460
Copyright IoE Mr Robert Taverner. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Taverner, Robert
Rights Holder: Taverner, Robert
Brick, Chalk, Flint, Slate, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Manor House, Loggia, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building, Farm, Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site