This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
POUND STREET 1.
4430 (North-West Side) CARSHALTON Chapel at St Philomena's Convent TQ 2764 SW 19/159 II 2. 1899 to 1900; designed by E Ingress Bell. Rectangular structure with gabled roof and tower at south-east end. Brick walls with stone dressings and knapped flint work. Nave, chancel and East aisle chapel. Entrance front in south gable end; moulded 2-centred stone doorway; single light window with cusped head to either side. Higher in the wall face, a stone statue of the Virgin in a niche with stone canopy over flanked to either side by a window with cusped head, the whole enclosed by a stone arch. To east and partly to rear, a brick tower with decorative courses of flint and stone, surmounted by an octagonal lantern and short broach spire. West front of 8 bays, each marked by a brick pilaster and hexafoil. Moulded plinth. Toothed brick courses above windows. Triple lancet window to chancel. Within, an organ loft above vestibule at south end of nave; pieta in vestibule. Pointed arches and vaulted roof to nave. The walls of nave, side-aisle and vestibule entirely lined with a finely executed scheme of mosaic decoration apparently derived in subject matter from Byzantine sources. Chancel walls, floor and altar table lined with inlaid marble in the Italian style.
Listing NGR: TQ2748664461
Copyright IoE Mr Robert Taverner. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Taverner, Robert
Rights Holder: Taverner, Robert
Brick, Flint, Stone, Victorian Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Nunnery, Religious House