This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
THE SQUARE 1.
4430 (East Side) CARSHALTON Premises of South-Eastern Electricity Board TQ 2864 SW 23/173 II 2.
Early to mid C18?; garden temple or orangery to Carshalton House, possibly derived from a design by Leoni; a much more imposing design by Leoni for the "Plan and Elevation of the green-house of the Ionic order, to be erected in the great Garden" at Carshalton House is illustrated in "some designs for Buildings both Publick and Private" in Vol 3 of "The Architecture of Leoni Battista Alberti", translated by Leoni and published circa 1729.
The present building is of one storey, Roman cement, 3-3-3 windows [blocked].
Central Doric tetrastyle pedimented portico with back pilasters; blocked tympanum.
Wood eaves cornice, slate roof hipped at east end. Doric angle piers to ends of elevation.
Listing NGR: TQ2808364436
© Mr Robert Taverner. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Taverner, Robert
Rights Holder: Taverner, Robert
Roman Cement, Slate, Stuart Garden Temple, Georgian Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building, Orangery, Glasshouse, Office, Unassigned, Building