Avington Park / Avington House

29 Aug 1999
Avington Park, Itchen Valley, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21 1DB
Show all locations
Avington House, Itchen Valley, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21 1DB
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.


14/19 Avington House (Formerly 5.12.55 listed as Avington Park)


Large country house. Late C16 half-H house for John Clerk but this mostly rebuilt late C17 when service courtyard and banqueting hall added for George Brydges, front extended to N & S and refronted late C18 for 3rd Duke of Chandos, internal redecorating early C19 for Earl Temple, later 2nd Marquess of Buckingham, purchased by Sir John Shelley, brother of poet, in 1848 who added further service buildings and the conservatories (q.v.). Older core flint and stone or brick dressings rebuilt in brick and blue brick with slate and lead roofs. Plan of half-H main block of 2 storeys, 13 bays with centre 5 recessed with to rear on left set at angle late C17 service courtyard with C19 service building behind and along right side of it running from staircase at rear to right of centre late C18 library wing leading to conservatories (q.v.). W front 2 storey, 13 bay with centre to bays recessed with piano nobile 1st floor. Centre 3 bays have Tuscan portice of c1680 in wood and plaster of 4 columns supporting entablature with triglyph frieze modillioned cornice and pediment. Erected on pediment late C18 3 lead figures said to come from Canons (Middx). Bays behind portico rendered with central 8-panel double door and rectangular fanlight with interlacing glazing bars in surround of pilasters and entablature. Ground floor has 12-pane segmental headed sashes with taller similar above. Flanking projecting wings have brick corner and centre pilasters carried up to top.

Inner faces are of 2 bays of blind openings similar to front which has 12-pane segmented headed sashes with stone sill and rubbed brick arches and aprons, brick entablature carried round pilasters, with blue brick frieze with red rubbed brick panels and balustraded parapet between tops of pilasters surmounted by urns.

S end 4 bays, similar but with 2 bay pediments. Blind N end also has pediment In centre, entrance hall has screens of columns each side with late C18 wall and ceiling paintings. Above- saloon with c1800 copy of Renaissance ceiling with paintings. Behind to right staircase late C18 has balusters as vertical chains draped with honeysuckle. Library late C18 with bowed front and Pompeian wall painting. In left wing on 1st floor drawing room has mid C19 painted;..figures of Earl Temple's ancestors. Country Life,1922; p.882-9. Pevsner; 1966; p.84-5. plans of house and proposed alterations of C18 exist in Huntingdon Library's Stowe records.

Listing NGR: SU5329932337


This is part of the Series: IOE01/1577 IOE Records taken by Stuart Phethean; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr Stuart Phethean. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Phethean, Stuart

Rights Holder: Phethean, Stuart


Lead, Slate, Stone, Brick, Flint, Tudor Counting House, Elizabethan Domestic, House, Dwelling, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Statue, Sculpture, Garden Ornament, Street Furniture, Library, Education, Recreational, Art And Education Venue, Service Wing