This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HIGH STREET 1.
1445 (North Side) The Guildhall SZ 5089 SW 3/45 1.10.53.
2. 1819. Architect John Nash. 2 storeys faced with coursed stucco. 1st floor: tetrastyle portico with giant Greek Ionic columns, dentil pediment, resting on ground floor of 3 round headed arches with keystones. 3 full length recessed sash windows, glazing bars, rendered lintels. Simple cast iron railings between columns. To right of facade Victoria clock tower of 1887 with small cupola pediments, columns and pilasters continuing Ionic style. The High Street front is continued with an Ionic colonnade, cornice and reeded parapet over. 5 windows as behind main portico.
Arcading also continued on ground floor with smaller arches at base of clock tower and at east end.
2 bays of 4 storeys coursed rendering with parapet and dentil cornice, have been added to the east on the High Street and 5 bays also in keeping with original style have been added on Quay Street qv.
Listing NGR: SZ5002889222
Copyright IoE Rev Robert Rudd. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rudd, Robert
Rights Holder: Rudd, Robert
Cast Iron, Stucco, Georgian Guildhall, Commercial, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Clock Tower, Unassigned, Tower, Building, Railings, Monument <By Form>, Barrier