This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LONDON ROAD 1.
5407 (West Side) St Peter's and St Mary's Junior School SU 1968 1/242 II 2.
1904 (date of foundation stone laid by the Marquess of Ailesbury). Architects T B Silcock and S S Reay. Red brick. Pitched tile roof. 2 storeys. Moulded wooden eaves cornice. End gables and (slightly projecting) central bay are crowned by prominemt modillioned pediments. Centre bay has 1 range of mullioned and transomed windows with lead glazing bars. 2 flanking bays have 1 oeuil de boeuf each set in very elegant moulded brick cartouches. Below these are 1 storey entrance extensions, each with moulded stone cornices and parapets: 1 double door each, with fielded panelling in ashlar surrounds consisting of moulded architrave 2 Roman Doric 3/4 columns taking full entablature and pediment with "Boys" and "Girls" respectively carved in relief and wreathed by oak leafs: 1 mullion and transom window in each extension, with lead glazing bars. Roof surmounted by octagonal lantern on square tile-hung base, each side with semi-circular louvred arch with keystone and moulded voussoirs. 4 Tuscan columns at corners taking entablature with modillioned cornics, 4 elaborate wooden urns and ogival lead cap.
Listing NGR: SU1906269113
© Mrs Hilary Mack. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mack, Hilary
Rights Holder: Mack, Hilary
Ashlar, Brick, Stone, Tile, Victorian Junior School, Education, Elementary School, School, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument