This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 1564 NW RYTON VILLAGE WEST (north side) 15/101 Barmoor Lane, Ryton.
Thorpe House, The Glen, Dean Hall House.
House, now 3 separate dwellings. 1863, incorporating mediaeval masonry from Market House, Durham. For Charles Thorpe, Rector of Ryton 1807-1863. Coursed squared sandstone with quoins. Steep roof of Welsh slate with stone gable copings. H-plan, 2 storeys; 1, 3 and 1 bays. West elevation to garden: central Norman arch, with chevron and billet moulding, flanked by moulded round headed openings containing door at left and window at right. Nailhead decoration to 4-light round window above flanked by narrow sashes in chamfered irregular-block surrounds. Gables either side: at left a 2-light Decorated window under a 2-light Transitional window; trefoil in gable. At right a 3-stepped Norman window with chevron and bobbin moulding under paired round headed sashes in chamfered irregular-block surrounds; round indented window in gable peak. Roof has trefoil- moulded apex to gable copings; one rear and 2 ridge tall ashlar chimneys with conjoined plinths on cornices. Interior of Thorpe House at north has closed- string stair with balustrade of alternate spiral and flat turned balusters and pew-end panels; grip handrail. Sources: Newcastle Daily Journal 29 June 1862; W. Bourn Ryton Parish (Carlisle 1896) p.38.
Listing NGR: NZ1509564687
This is part of the Series: IOE\Martin_Edmund IOE Records for Martin, Edmund; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr Edmund Martin. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Martin, Edmund
Rights Holder: Martin, Edmund
Ashlar, Sandstone, Stone, Welsh Slate, Victorian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling