Old Manor Court House / Derby House

Date:
15 Jul 2000
Location:
Old Manor Court House, School Lane, Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8 0LW
Show all locations
Derby House, 55 School Lane, Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8 0LW
Reference:
IOE01/00226/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

UP HOLLAND

SD5205 SCHOOL LANE 783-1/7/77 (South side) 07/01/52 No.55 Derby House

GV II

Formerly known as: Old Manor Court House SCHOOL LANE UPHOLLAND. House, or wing of former house. Dated 1633 at 1st floor; altered. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof, brick chimney. 2-unit plan at right-angles to street. 2 storeys with basement and attic, a gabled one-window facade, with a high chamfered plinth, and a moulded dripband over the ground floor. The centre of the basement steps up over the top half of a blocked square-headed doorway with chamfered reveal and Tudor-arched lintel, to the left is a small chamfered blocked opening, and to the right an inserted doorway with C20 door; the ground floor has an inserted vertical-rectangular window (with C20 glazing) in the remains of a blocked mullioned window, probably formerly similar to the window at 1st floor, which has 6 lights with a chamfered reveal, ovolo-moulded mullions and a moulded hoodmould; and at attic level is a blocked 2-light double chamfered mullioned window. On the centre of the dripband is a stone plaque carved with the Stanley crest of eagle-and-child, and the date "1633". The right-hand return wall is mostly covered by an adjoining building, but part of blocked 2-light mullioned windows are exposed on both floors. The rear gable wall has a 5-light mullioned window at 1st floor (like that at the front), a stone plaque above this with the Legs-of-Man, the initials "ILS" in the top left corner, "1633" in the top right-hand corner, and initials in the lower corners "RC" and "IC"; an attic window like that at the front, and in the apex a square stone with an egg-shaped recess. INTERIOR: 4 stop-chamfered lateral beams on each floor; partition which is probably timber-framed; principal rafter roof truss with angle braces and wind-braces to the purlins. HISTORY: said to have been used as gaol.

Listing NGR: SD5232305162

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Barker_Simon IOE Records for Barker, Simon; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Simon Barker. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Barker, Simon

Rights Holder: Barker, Simon

Keywords

Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Stuart House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Prison, Civil, Legal Site