This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST57SE REDCATCH ROAD, Knowle 901-1/55/1556 (North side) 01/11/66 Convent of the Sisters of Charity
Industrial schools, now convent. 1890, dated 1894 on the hoppers. By JD Sedding, completed and extended to the rear by his pupil H Wilson. Snecked Lias rubble with limestone ashlar dressings and timber-framing, brick ridge stacks and plain tiled hipped roof. W and N blocks with a central courtyard. Free Tudor Gothic style with Queen Anne Revival details. Main block is 2 storeys; 6-window range with a left-of-centre porch and projecting side pavilions. Narrow lancet doorway with moulded hood, and a square sunken panel above; cornice and crenellated parapet, raised centre merlon angled forward and dropping down to form a corbelled niche. The corners of the porch are chamfered to form plinths above the arch. Inside the porch, a 3-bay vaulted roof with niches each side, flat-headed doorway with a cavetto architrave. The walls either side are rubble to the ground floor and close framing to the first, wide mullioned and transomed Ipswich windows on scrolled brackets with leaded casements: 11-light ground-floor windows, 2 eaves dormers over with sunken windows between with tiled canopy below. The left-hand pavilion is a 2-storey 2-window range. 2 tile-hung gables each with 2-light mullioned windows; left-hand end set back. The right pavilion is 3 storeys, 2-window range. 2 full height canted bays with 4-light middle windows and a rusticated panel between the floors, full-width slated canopy over bays, framed and rendered gable, upper part jettied. Rear refectory building in similar style by Wilson 1894. INTERIOR: many period details survive including fireplaces with Bristol Delft tiles, S courtyard passage with deep, stone-hooded fireplace, unmoulded windows and foliate plaster ceiling; ovolo stopped beams on cyma corbels in the main front room. An important example of Sedding's work, and of an educational building in this style. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 396).
Listing NGR: ST5993670856
© Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Chapman, Cyril N.
Rights Holder: Chapman, Cyril N.
Ashlar, Lias, Limestone, Mortar, Render, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Timber, Victorian Timber Framed Building, Monument (By Form), Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Industrial School, Education, Training School, School, Rainwater Head, Water Supply And Drainage, Refectory, Unassigned, Building Component, Building, Nunnery, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Religious House
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.