Church Of St Paul / Church Of St Paul And Attached Area Wall Railings And Gates

Date:
31 Aug 1999
Location:
Church Of St Paul, St Paul's Road, Hartlepool, Durham
Show all locations
Church Of St Paul And Attached Area Wall Railings And Gates, Grange Road, Hartlepool, Durham
Reference:
IOE01/00245/17
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

HARTLEPOOL GRANGE ROAD NZ 5032 (south side) 10/72 Church of St. Paul, and attached area wall, railings and gates.

- II

Church, 1885/86, by C. Hodgson Fowler. Brick with stone dressings and Westmorland slate roofs. Early English style. Clearstoried and aisled nave, north transept, chancel aisled to south side, and north-west tower.

North face of 5-stage tower has double doors flanked by paired columns and entablature under brick triple roll-moulded lancet arch. All openings are lancet-arched. 2 openings to 2nd stage; one to 4th stage; blind 3-bay arcade to each face of 3rd stage; 5th stage has tripartite openings : outer 2 blocked. Balustraded parapet, angle turrets and pyramidal roof. Vice at south-west angle. 5-bay nave has 2 windows to each bay of clearstories and aisles, the former having continuous hoodmoulds. West rose window above tall tripartite lancet opening. Gable of transept has rose window over 5 grouped, blocked openings. 2-bay chancel has similar windows to nave. East window consists of 5 grouped and stepped lights under a single hoodmould.

Vestry and Lady Chapel to chancel aisle. Ridge lantern with spirelet, and 2 gabled roof dormers mark division between nave and chancel. Base of tower open to nave via end bay of north arcade. Arcades of 2 orders under continuous hoodmould, have compound piers of 4 round shafts. Barrel roofs to nave and chancel. Chancel arch of 2 orders with nook shafts. South aisle windows and east window contain good late C19 stained glass. 3- bay sedilia with Frosterly marble shafts under lancet arches of 3 orders.

Chancel and Lady Chapel each have carved oak reredos of c.1910. Carved stone octagonal drum pulpit on pedestal, with polychrome marble dressings.

Octagonal drum font on short shafts, of polychrome marble and alabaster.

Low brick area wall with chamfered stone copings and ornamental wrought iron railings and gates, to north, east and west sides of church.

Listing NGR: NZ5035532544

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Sample_Thomas IOE Records for Sample, Thomas; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Thomas Sample. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Sample, Thomas

Rights Holder: Sample, Thomas

Keywords

Brick, Lake District Slate, Stone, Wrought Iron, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Gate, Unassigned, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Railings