This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 12 NW STRATFORD TONEY BISHOPSTONE ROAD (south side)
4/165 Stratford Tony House
Detached house. Early C17 central range with early C18 wines to either side, one-bay addition to front wing dated 1791 on brick in south wall, 1920s extension on east side of central range. Flemish bond brick with stone quoins to front, header bond to right return with tile-hung first floor, flint and brick bands to rear range, tiled roofs with brick stacks. U-shaped plan. 2-storey, 5-window symmetrical front of c1730. Central double door with 6 fielded panels, transom-light and pediment on consoles, either side are two 12-pane sashes in moulded architraves with flat arches and keystones. Stone plat band to first floor, five sashes with same details as ground floor. Two hipped dormers to roof with 2-light casements, stack to right. Right return is used as entrance front; 2-storey, 4-window, C20 door to left of early C17 range with 4- light casement with heraldic stained glass and segmental head to right, to left is one casement in 1730s wing and to right is 3- light casement and inserted door in rear wing. First floor has casement to left and another in attic, tile-hung central range has single and 4-light casement and to right is 2-light casement. Left return from front has two French windows with cambered heads to ground floor and two sashes to first, attached to central range is 1920s extension with casements to ground and first floor, to rear of front wing is bay added in 1791 in English bond brick with external stack and brick incised IAS/1791 on first floor, attic casement in gable of front wing. Rear wing in flint and brick bands has 4-light and single casements to ground floor and 2-light, 3-light and 4-light casements to first floor, all with segmental heads, stepped eaves cornice in brick.
Interior: Early C17 range of 2 bays has deeply chamfered beams with splayed stops to ground floor and open roof on first floor with butt purlins and collar. 1730s front range has reset C17 wainscot panelling and Tudor-arched fireplace with carved spandrels in west room, east room has bolection-moulded fireplace in 1791 bay, doors with fielded panels and good newel stairs with columnar balusters rising to attic, first floor has doors with fielded panels and L-hinges and fielded panelling to dado. South range has reset early C17 wainscot doors with L-hinges, to wig chambers in east room on first floor. Some restoration of house in 1930s.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU0905526442
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Letcher, Peter
Rights Holder: Letcher, Peter
Brick, Flint, Stone, Tile, Timber, Tudor Detached House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart House, Jacobean Domestic, Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument