This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 02 NE BISHOPSTONE MILL LANE (north side)
5/54 Dovecote at Faulston House 23.3.60
Dovecote. Early Cl7. Flint with dressed limestone bands, conical tiled roof with raised conical louvre at apex. Formerly of several storeys, now open from ground to roof. North side facing Faulston House (q.v.) has tall chamfered doorway, upper part now blocked, to left is first floor planked door and recessed chamfered square windows or loopholes. West side has blocked Tudor-arched opening at upper floor level and several loopholes. South side has one blocked and one open recessed chamfered window. Interior has stone corbels to former first floor, walls above are lined with stone pigeon boxes, renewed roof timbers. According to-local legend and John Aubrey there were once four such towers around the moated Faulston House, but this has not been substantiated.
(John Aubrey, The Natural History of Wiltshire, 1847)
Listing NGR: SU0728925631
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Letcher, Peter
Rights Holder: Letcher, Peter
Flint, Limestone, Tile, Tudor Dovecote, Elizabethan Agriculture And Subsistence, Stuart Agricultural Building