This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TG 10 NE CRINGLEFORD NEWMARKET ROAD (south side) 2/16 Church of St. Peter 26.11.59
Parish church, Medieval, restored 1898. Flint with some iron conglomerate and erratics, limestone dressings; plain tiles. West tower, nave, north porch, chancel, south aisle of 1898, south-west vestry of 1925. Unbuttressed tower; late C14 4-centred west window of 2 lights and panel tracery, partly renewed, part of brick relieving arch above; ringing chamber with small cusp-headed single lights to north, south and west, heads to south and west renewed; bell stage with string course, 4-centred bell openings of 2 cusped lights and eyelet; embattled parapet ofknapped flint with string course having angel gargoyles, remains of evangelistic symbols at north angles.
North porch: C15, gable parapet and cross-; perpendicular arch with narrow continuous moulding, and side shafts, hood with stops of small angels holding shields, niche above now with statue of St. Peter 1940; returns each with small 2-light opening undera square head; interior with wide basket headed recesses to each wall; tall north doorway with continuous roll mould and hood. North nave: C19 buttress to east angle and to centre across line of former C13 arch, to left a double splayed Cll semi-circular headed opening, now blocked, and vestigial herringbone work; 2 openings part renewed as to west tower; to left a narrow 2-light opening under a square head having below a square opening, 43 x 43 cm, of hagioscope to chancel. Chancel, C19 diagonal buttresses, gable with devil's head corbels; east window of 2-lights with Decorated tracery; north chancel with Cll double splayed opening to centre, to right set low a single splayed semi-circular headed opening; south chancel with 2 lancets. South aisle of 1898 reusing material of earlier south nave: south-east quoin of iron conglomerate; east window and 3 openings to south as to west tower, two being reset from earlier nave, to left a narrow 2-light opening as to north nave probably reset. Interior: Roof of 1898 with 7 cants and scissor bracing; 3 bay south arcade of 1898 in C14 style with octagonal piers and double hollow chamfered arches; C15 chancel arch with polygonal jambs and continuous double chamfered arch. Small recess to left. North chancel with 2 Cll splayed openings of semi-circular headed lancets, that to right with traces of painted decoration, that to left lower with narrow hagioscope in left splay leading to present outer wall of nave. 2 wide lancet recesses flanking east window. South chancel openings with dropped rear arches, that to left now with fragments of early stones, 4 forming a wheel head cross, one with incised crosses as if for altar. Plain piscina with original wooden shelf. South aisle of 1898, roof of arch braced collars.
C15 octagonal font with bowl reset or renewed 1898, foliage and floral designs to faces, C15 base of bowl with trailing vine as to font in Church of St. Peter Ketteringham q.v. 5/80, octagonal stem with hollow niche to each face containing fleurons; C15 Maltese cross base. South aisle with medieval glass of saints in panel tracery of central light. Narrow early C18 table with legs of tapering Tuscan columns with clasping bands. Canvas achievement of George IV over north door; west wall with fragments of Cll interlacing stone work from cross and of shaft with cushion capital. Under tower framed Lords Prayer in oak fretwork, 1906 by Frederick Reynolds aged 14.
Listing NGR: TG1983605824
Copyright IoE Mr Keith Erskine. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Erskine, Keith
Rights Holder: Erskine, Keith
Flint, Limestone, Pudding Stone, Stone, Tile, Early Medieval Cross, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Parish Church, Church, Place Of Worship, Arch, Monument <By Form>, Statue, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Sculpture, Garden Ornament, Street Furniture, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative