This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TG 10 SE HETHERSETT NORWICH ROAD (south-east side) 5/46 Hethersett Old Hall 26.11.59 (formerly listed as The Old Hall) II
House, now school, 1774, red brick, plain tiled roof. Core of double depth, 5 bays, 2 storeys; early C20 addition to rear of right return, many additions to left and rear. Principal facade north-west to road in Flemish bond, hipped roof, full height canted bays in different brick from bays 1 and 5 with polygonal tiled roofs. Canted bays and central facade with parapet having painted wood dentil cornice; recessed sashes with glazing bars, those to ground floor with gauged brick flat arches. Central doorway with semi-circular flat roofed portico having 4 Ionic columns with egg and dart moulding to echini; canopy with modillions; lugged doorcase, panelled reveals; door with 2 raised and fielded panels. Additions to left and forward left, and single storeyed addition to right of no special interest.
Return to right first floor with 2 flush sashes with glazing bars. Rear: varied facade with several additions; bay 1 - with some darker and glazed bricks, flush sash with cambered arch to ground floor, first floor with leaded oriel window, large gabled dormer to attic with 3-light casement with pintle hinges. Bays 2-5 with varied fenestration and additions including bay window to bay 3 and stair turret to bay 5; 3 leaded roof dormers. Wing of c.1910 to south-west return extending to rear: ground floor of brick, first floor rendered with attached wooden studs. Ground floor to southwest with 3 large flush sashes with glazing bars, first floor with 2 oriel windows on carved wooden brackets supported by polygonal wall posts. Facade to rear with canted bay having French windows to ground floor.
Service range at rear to north-east, c.1910, having C18 style classical doorcase with canopy incorporating earlier roughly carved bracket and mask keystone. Interior: main core with central hall to bays 2-4, screen to left of doorway of 2 Corinthian columns in antis, black and white marble chequered floor, lugged doorcases with panelled reveals, doors with 2 raised panels.
Open-well open-string staircase to left with stick balusters; ramped and wreathed mahogany handrail with thumb groove, ebony and ivory inset over newel. To rear right of ground and first floor a wide segmental arch, that to ground floor containing doors to passage and cellar with L hinges. Ground floor room to rear right with raised panels to wainscot. To left of principal block, an C18 doorcase, now internal, with carved brackets, doorway opposing similar doorway now in service wing of c.1910.
Listing NGR: TG1515204115
Copyright IoE Mr Keith Erskine. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Erskine, Keith
Rights Holder: Erskine, Keith
Brick, Tile, Georgian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, School, Education