Buckinghamshire General Infirmary / The Royal Bucks Hospital

Date:
15 Aug 1999
Location:
Buckinghamshire General Infirmary, Aylesbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP19 9AB
Show all locations
The Royal Bucks Hospital, Aylesbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP19 9AB
Reference:
IOE01/00269/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

In the entry for:

SP 8114 AYLESBURY The Royal Bucks Hospital

3/000

GV II

Line 27. Delete, 'the late-C20 alterations are not of interest'.

Insert, 'the later C20 alterations are not of interest'.

------------------------------------

The following building shall be added to the list:

SP 8114 AYLESBURY

3/000 The Royal Bucks Hospital

GV II

Hospital, currently unoccupied. c1860-62 by David Brandon; planform influenced personally by Florence Nightingale. Rear addition wing opened 1908 (by F Taylor architect), other later C20 alterations. Red brick with stone floor and sill bands, quoins to central block, architraves and cornice. Slated roofs, with dormers and tall chimney stacks to central block; ventilators to left hand pavilion. Central 5 window administrative block of 3 storeys, attic and basement flanked by 2 storey and basement pavilion wards of 7 windows each with projecting end bays. Right hand pavilion with mid C20 3rd storey.

Central entrance with stone portico of paired columns and pillars, with rectangular bands, carrying a dentil entablature supporting a balcony, with inset panels and ball finials, to pedimented 1st floor window having a central colonette. Ground floor sashes have segmental arched architraves with keystones, projecting bays with round-arched niches having quoins at angles; 1st floor architraved sashes with cornices on short pilaster supports with enriched corbels. Bracketed cornice to left hand pavilion. Central block 3rd floor sashes architraved; cornice, with saw-tooth frieze, supports a brick parapet with central carved stone segmental pediment depicting the Bucks coat of arms and inscribed 'Anno Domini MDCCCLX1'. Originally called the Buckinghamshire General Infirmary, this hospital was one of the first pavilion plan hospitals in England and the first civil pavilion planned hospital to be finished and in use. Florence Nightingale was personally involved in the design which she published in the third edition of her 'Notes on Hospital Design', 1863 as an exemplar.

The building is listed primarily for its significance in the development of mid-C19 hospital planning; the late-C20 alterations are not of interest.

Listing NGR: SP8170014200

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Senior_Barry IOE Records for Senior, Barry; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Senior, Barry

Rights Holder: Senior, Barry

Keywords

Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Hospital, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Pavilion, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces