Church Of St Mary And St Chad
- 29 Aug 1999
- Church Of St Mary And St Chad, Church Road, Brewood, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BREWOOD C.P. CHURCH ROAD SJ 8808-8908
13/27 Church of St. Mary and 19.3.62 St. Chad
Parish Church. Contains material of C13 and C16 and was thoroughly restored by G.E. Street between 1878 and 1880, Ashlar; clay tile roofs, 6 bay chancel of collegiate proportions, 5 bay nave with aisles and outer S. aisle; W. Tower and spire with diagonal buttresses. C13 lancets to choir (E.end restored 1878-80); lancet triplets in Street's outer S.aisle gables (inspired by evidence of cross gabling on N.aisle); restored Decorated tracery. Early C16 W. Tower with 4 centred western doorway and Perpendicular W. window, 2 light belfry openings, crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles. Interior: Arcade of tall octagonal piers; wide drop arch to chancel of 2 chamfered orders; widely splayed pointed tower arch; C19 timber roof.
Fittings: Font with heavy base, funnel shaped bowl and simple roll moulded panels, probably late C16; pulpit by Street; stone reredos of 1911. Monuments: 4 alabaster monuments in chancel, all Giffards of Chillington: Sir John died 1556 with 2 wives; Sir Thomas died 1560 and 2 wives;; John died 1613 and wife; Walter died 1632 and wife; incised slab to Richard Lane died 1518 and wife; tablet to Matthew Moreton died 1669 and wife. Medieval coffin about 4 yards S. of chancel. B.O.E., V.C.H. Vol. 5.
Listing NGR: SJ8834508662
© Mr GW Tanner. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Tanner, Gw
Rights Holder: Tanner, Gw
Ashlar, Clay, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Plaque