Church Of All Saints
- 17 Sep 2000
- Church Of All Saints, Cleadon Lane, Boldon, South Tyneside, Tyne And Wear, SR6 7UX
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 36 SE BOLDON CLEADON LANE (south side) Cleadon 3/8 Church of All Saints GV II
Parish church. 1869 by R J Johnson, south aisle 1907. Snecked limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings, high-pitched roofs of Welsh slate with stone coping to nave and aisle, in Early English style. Nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel with 3-sided apse, north transept. 2 windows of 3 lights in nave and aisle; south door in chamfered opening between recessed columns on plinths, with drip mould; 2 buttresses to aisle. Transept has a 2-light window in the gable and an east door with flower stops to a drip-mould. Roof has stone cross finial at west, iron at east; above the chancel a hexagonal timber bellcote with Welsh slate spirelet and iron finial; chimney at the transept gable.
Interior: south arcade of 2 wide bays, paintings of Garden of Gethsemane by J Eadie Read of Newcastle c.1914 in spandrels; apse paintings of Christ on the Cross and Christ in Majesty by Michael Hoare of Folkestone in 1967; 2-light west window war memorial by L C Evetts of Newcastle in 1948.
Listing NGR: NZ3858262357
© Mr David E Sandersfield. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Sandersfield, David E
Rights Holder: Sandersfield, David E
Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Timber, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, War Memorial, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument