Hylton Castle

Date:
18 Feb 2001
Location:
Hylton Castle, Craigavon Road, Sunderland, Tyne And Wear
Show all locations
Hylton Castle, Washington Road, Sunderland, Tyne And Wear
Reference:
IOE01/02159/27
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SUNDERLAND

NZ35NE CRAIGAVON ROAD 920-1/4/54 (East side) 25/02/49 Hylton Castle (Formerly Listed as: WASHINGTON ROAD, Castletown (South side) Hylton Castle)

GV I

Fortified tower-house in form of gatehouse. c1400. For Sir William Hylton. Extensively altered in early C18 for John Hylton who altered windows, added N wing, reconstructed interior. His son John added S wing. 1860s wings demolished, most windows altered and inside altered for William Briggs. Mid C20 consolidation and restoration of shell for Ministry of Works. Ashlar. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3 windows, in bays defined by turrets. Steps up to central doorway of C19 pointed arch on nookshafts with stone balcony above to 3-light window of 2-storey hall recessed behind segmental arch to battlements; heraldic devices to right of second-floor window and on turret to left.

Flanking turrets have blind panel to right of door, lancets above, and small square openings below machicolated battlements. Side bays have 3-light ground-floor windows and paired lights on upper floors below machicolated parapets. Angle turrets, without openings, have similar parapets. All front windows 1860s lancets, blocked on first floor and empty on second floor. Left return has one door in largely reconstructed wall; right return has 2-storey square projecting bay window of 1860, single first-floor and paired second-floor medieval lancets. Rear elevation has projecting central tower with windows on 5 floors, which were probably 2-storey chapel through first and second, with chambers over and stair at left. C18 Gothic screens on ground and first floors, now blocked; medieval lancets above, with large heraldic achievement at centre on second floor which has arms and crest of Sir William Hylton below Richard II badge of white hart. Right bay has medieval windows on upper floors. Machicolated parapets between corner turrets and central tower, altered parapet to tower. No roof. INTERIOR: shows lower courses of ground floor partition walls on restored ground level; all floors removed except in rear tower which has medieval pointed-arched door to stair in use to upper floors. Oven in wall thickness at SE corner; portcullis slot over door; traces of ground floor vaults; medieval door and fireplace detail; roof truss corbels with carving; stone bench to embrasure of W window of first-floor chamber. Rear tower has diagonal chamfer stops and shouldered lintels to doors; chambers over chapel have original hooded fireplaces with corbelled chamfered jambs and eroded chamfer stops. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Official Handbooks: Morley BM: Hylton Castle, Tyne and Wear: London: 1979-).

Listing NGR: NZ3578358790

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1774 IOE Records taken by David E Sandersfield; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr David E Sandersfield. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Sandersfield, David E

Rights Holder: Sandersfield, David E

Keywords

Ashlar, Medieval Fortified House, Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Defence, Tower House, Gatehouse, Unassigned, Building

Back
to top