9 Church Street
- 6 Oct 2000
- 9 Church Street, Steyning, Horsham, West Sussex, BN44 3YB
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STEYNING CHURCH STREET 1. (south-east side) 5404 No 9 TQ 1711 24/62 15.3.55
The original part of Steyning Grammar School. C15 timber-framed building originally the Brotherhood Hall of the Fraternity of the Holy Trinity. This ceased to exist at the Dissolution. The Grammar School was established here in 1614, over the doorway is a tablet inscribed "Brotherhood Hall. Grammar School founded in his native town and endowed AD 1614 by Wm Holland, Alderman of Chichester". Ground floor has been rebuilt in brick, now painted. First floor oversails on bressumer and brackets and is now tile-hung, once painted, but has no windows facing the street. Above are wide two gables of ornamental timbering with carved bargeboards, 11 pendants and five-light casement windows. Horsham slab roof. Central red brick porch of three storeys and window of which ground and first floors date from 1614 and the top storey with gable over, from late C19. It contains a pointed brick archway with dripstone over and a wrought-iron gate. Inner doorway set in moulded architrave surround with original door of four vertical panels. To south-west of the porch are two windows and two doorways, one with four-centred head, moulded jambs and lintel. To north-east of the porch are three windows and similar blocked doorway.
Large modern additions behind, to south-east, not of special interest.
Listing NGR: TQ1773711192
© Mr Ken Scott. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Scott, Ken
Rights Holder: Scott, Ken
Brick, Horsham Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Meeting Hall, Civil, Public Building, Recreational, Recreational Hall, Grammar School, Education, Secondary School, School, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument