Church Of St Mary

Date:
25 Aug 2001
Location:
Church Of St Mary, High Street, Cricklade, North Wiltshire, Wiltshire, SN6 6AP
Reference:
IOE01/02267/30
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SU 19 SW CRICKLADE HIGH STREET (west side)

13/145 Church of St. Mary 17.1.55 GV II*

Former Anglican parish church of Cricklade St. Mary, now Roman Catholic parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C19. Limestone rubble. Stone slate roof. It comprises a nave, north and south aisles, chancel and west tower, with north chapel to chancel.

Aisles have wide C19 three-light cinquefoil windows with labels.

Chancel 2-light plate tracery, also C19. No clerestorey but two 3- light gabled dormers on south. chapel is C13 with mid C14 three- light cinquefoil window and angle buttress. Open south porch.

Clock of 1863 on east gable of nave and sundial dated 1822 replaces earlier on south chancel wall.

Interior: Nave of 3 bays, C12 with chevroned and cable moulded chancel arch, on scalloped caps, and C13-C14 three-bay arcades of 4-centred arches on octagonal columns. Simple chamfered tower arch to C13 tower, the chamfers with small trefoiled gable stops. Open C19 timber roof. Chancel C14 rework of Romanesque chancel extending it to east. Nave moulded arch on north to chapel, now organ chamber. Squints to aisles. C19 roof. East window 1862-3 by Galpin of Oxford. Fittings: Font: C13 inverted column base on possible Roman capital as base, reset in C19. Pulpit: Mid C17 half-octagon oak with arcaded panelling. Altar table 1627 with stretchers between turned legs and carved fasciae. Organ by A.E. Pease of London. Other fittings C19. Furnishings, C18 brass candelabra and oak document chest. Church was further restored in 1908 and 1963-4 before redundancy in 1981. Parish amalgamated with St. Sampson's 1952.

Excavations of 1964 suggest that the north chapel walls are founded on Anglo-Saxon work associated with the town wall. (Thomson & Taylor in W.A.M 60 (1965), 75 and 61 (1966) 38.f.)

Listing NGR: SU1012893865

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0800 IOE Records taken by Melvyn Gigg; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Melvyn Gigg. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Gigg, Melvyn

Rights Holder: Gigg, Melvyn

Keywords

Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Anglican Church, Sundial, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament, Clock Tower, Unassigned, Tower, Building, Roman Catholic Church

Back
to top