This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 15 39 CHIPPING CAMPDEN HIGH STREET (South east side)
4/9/10000 Police Station and Magistrates Court
Police station and magistrates court. 1871. Rock-faced limestone and ashlar. Stone tile roof with stone coped gable ends. Ashlar gable-end and axial stacks. PLAN: Police station with superintendant's accommodation above and carriageway to left, and with wing at rear containing court room, open to the roof, with cells below. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. 1 :3 bay front. Symmetrical 3 bays on right with central2-centred arch doorway with side lights, inscribed above COUNTY POLICE STATION over crown and with date 1871, and hoodmould above; to left and right canted stone bay windows; stringcourse at first floor level and 2 and 3-light stone mullion-transom first floor windows with hoodmoulds; three small attic dormers with 2-light windows with depressed 2-centred arches; bay on left, recessed slightly, with depressed 2-centred arch carriageway with plank double doors, and 2-light mullion-transom window above. Rear : gable-ended ashlar courthouse wing with Gothic windows and external stairs on east side. INTERIOR: Most of the interior joinery is intact, including panelled doors and two stairs. The court has an open timber roof with arch-braced trusses, a corner fireplace and courtroom furnishings. The cells below have original doors and boarded beds.
Listing NGR: SP1514339142
© Lorna Freeman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Freeman, Lorna
Rights Holder: Freeman, Lorna
Ashlar, Limestone, Tile, Victorian Magistrates Court, Civil, Law Court, Legal Site, Police Station