Church Of St Mary
- 14 Nov 2000
- Church Of St Mary, Ipswich Road, Newbourne, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 24 SE NEWBOURN IPSWICH ROAD 3/21 Church of St. Mary 16.3.66
Parish Church. Nave and chancel C12, restored late C13 - early C14 when south aisle and south tower added; further restored C19. The greater part of the nave, chancel and tower are in rubble mixture of flint and septaria; the south aisle was encased in early C16 brick and the west wall of nave rebuilt in red brick c.1810. Plain tile roofs with decorative ridge tiles to nave and chancel; lead roof to south aisle. Some vestiges of Norman stone-work in north wall of nave. The 3 stage south tower has diagonal stepped buttresses with stone quoins and C15 castellated parapet embellished with C19 crocketted pinnacles and angels. The base of the tower serves as the south entrance porch; the second stage has loop openings with stone jambs on 3 sides and the bell chamber two-light openings with pointed arches and Y tracery on all four sides. The nave, chancel and aisle have a mixture of windows, mainly early C14 with one C15 perpendicular window to south aisle. The south doorway has pointed arch with a carved graffito of a mediaeval ship low on the jamb. In the north wall of the chancel there is a tudor brick priest's doorway with grille in door supposedly used by lepers. The interior of the nave has a single hammer beam roof with carved spandrel supports. In the north wall of nave is the C15 rood loft stair with upper and lower entrances. The framework of the base of the screen with carved panels remains. The chancel has an arched braced collar roof with some reused mediaeval timber. The roof to the south aisle is original of simple rafter construction. Restored east window in chancel retains C12 circular shafts. There is an early C13 lancet window in south wall of chancel which has been divided to form a low 'side window' for an external bell. Between south aisle and chancel there is a simple perpendicular arch. In the south wall of the sanctuary is a trefoil headed piscina and a double sedilia. Piscina and sedilium also in south wall of aisle. The original octagonal stone font was restored and recut in the early C19; the panels of the bowl symbolise the Evangelists alternating with angels; the bowl is supported by angels from the stem on which there are lions alternating with wild men. The altar is a Stuart Holy Table. Some C15 returned stalls in chancel with poppy heads and traceried panelling to ends. The tower contains one bell originally cast by Miles Graye in 1621 and recast in 1885 by C. Carr.
Listing NGR: TM2729743061
© R H MacMillan. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Macmillan, R H
Rights Holder: Macmillan, R H
Brick, Flint, Lead, Rubble, Septaria, Tile, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship