Monument To Sir Thomas Clarkson, 10 Metres South West Of Church Of St Mary

Date:
18 Feb 2001
Location:
Monument To Sir Thomas Clarkson, 10 Metres South West Of Church Of St Mary, Playford, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk
Reference:
IOE01/02315/35
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TM 24 NW PLAYFORD

4/9 Monument to Sir Thomas - Clarkson, 10 metres south- west of Church of St. Mary

- II

Monument. Erected 1857 to Sir Thomas Clarkson of Playford Hall (died 1846).

A plain granite obelisk about 5 metres high on a square plinth. A brief inscription on each of 4 sides. In close partnership with William Wilberforce, Sir Thomas Clarkson initiated and organised the campaign for the abolition of slavery, from the late C18 until it was finally abolished by Act of Parliament in 1834.

Listing NGR: TM2175348074

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1295 IOE Records taken by R H MacMillan; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© R H MacMillan. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Macmillan, R H

Rights Holder: Macmillan, R H

Keywords

Granite, Victorian Obelisk, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative

Back
to top