Church Of St Leonard
- 25 Feb 2001
- Church Of St Leonard, Church Lane, Chelsham And Farleigh, Tandridge, Surrey, CR6 9DZ
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 35NE CHELSHAM & FARLEIGH C.P. CHURCH LANE, CHELSHAM 3/50 Church of St. Leonard 11.6.58
Church. C13 with C15 tower; heavily restored in 1870-1 by Spencer with vestry addition 1904 by H.A. Daniell. Knapped flint with stone dressings, red in herringbone pattern with brick banding courses on south side. Banded plain tiled roof with ridge cresting, wooden shingles to spire. Square tower and spire to west, aisleless nave with gabled porch to south, chancel to east with vestry extension to north. Lancet windows to chancel and tower, Geometrical window to north chancel wall, Perpendicular window to south under hood mould with diamond shaped stops, remaining windows C19.
Interior: simple, whitewashed with stone dressings. C15 tower arch, C19 chancel arch. C13 column shaft with upright lancet leaf capital to north east corner of chancel, further column with stiff leaf capital to south east.
Fittings: Triangular piscina with stiff leaf decoration to east chancel wall.
Former parclose screen c1530 cut down and re-used as chancel screen with thick tracery and turned oolumns. C13 stone font: square bowl on central stem with four corner shafts.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p,146.
Listing NGR: TQ3886259118
© Mr Desmond Pye. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Pye, Desmond
Rights Holder: Pye, Desmond
Brick, Flint, Stone, Tile, Wood, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship