This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ35NW CATERHAM & WARLINGHAM COULSDON ROAD (South West side )
303/2/42 Chapel of St Michael 19.11.1984 the Archangel, Caterham Guards Depot II
Garrison chapel. 1885-86, by William Butterfield, for the Brigade of Guards. Horizontal sections of yellow stock brick, flint, chequeboard flint and ashlar, with ashlar dressings, and a tiled roof. Decorated Gothic Revivals le. PLAN: nave with aisles, the one extending to the chancel, the S one to the chancel E gable, with a SE organ chamber, and SW and NW porches. EXTERIOR: coped end gables, gabled N aisle, S aisle has a lean-to roof; 2-centre arched windows with Decorated Gothic tracery. E gable has angle buttresses, the lower part flint, divided by an ashlar band, up to a brick diaper band below a 3-light window, with chequeboard above the sponging, and flint in the top of the gable containing a round sunken panel. 6-bay N side has brick to the cill band, paler brick to the impost band, and flint above; a 2-light E window to the chancel, the aisle has 3-light windows in the E gable and to the sides, with a lean-to vestry against the E bay an a brick porch with hipped roof in the W bay. S side has a gabled organ chamber at the E end with flint in the top of the gable and 3 quatrefoils along the E side; 4-bay aisle, each with 3 narrow 2-light windows, separated by half round buttresses, the SW porch has a gableted roof W gable has brick to impost level, chequeboard flint above, and a corbelled brick belcote with diaperwork, a weathered top with cross finial, and bell in 2-centre arch; 2 pairs of narrow trefoil-headed windows each with a quatrefoil above. The ends of the aisles are similar, the N aisle gable has 3 trefoil-headed lancets, and the end of the S aisle has a single trefoil-headed light. The 2 porches at the W end have chamfered 2-centre-arched doorways and doors with strap hinges.
INTERIOR: 4-bay nave has yellow and brown banded columns to 2-centre arches, smaller at the W end, and with half round responds to wider piers at each end; timber barrel vault roof with a paired truss to the chancel arch containing a king post and large quatrefoils. FIXTURES: octagonal timber pulpit to the left of the chancel arch on a stone base with attached colonnettes; original lectern, rail, and pews across full width of chapel 1887 organ by Walker.
MEMORIALS: marble full-height statue of the Duke of Wellington with sword in the SW porch, 1903. HISTORY: privately paid for by the Brigade of Guards. Although the massing is simple, the external use of materials is particularly rich, and the internal space clear and unobstructed. An interesting example of a small Butterfield church.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Surrey: London: 1971-: 139; Thompson P: William Butterfield: London: 1971-: 433).
Listing NGR: TQ3248156404