Frankland Monument / Monument To The South West Of Stanmer House

Date:
13 May 2001
Location:
Frankland Monument, Stanmer Park, Brighton, Brighton And Hove, East Sussex
Show all locations
Monument To The South West Of Stanmer House, Stanmer Park, Brighton, Brighton And Hove, East Sussex
Reference:
IOE01/02381/07
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BRIGHTON

TQ3309 STANMER PARK 577-1/9/1102 Frankland monument 02/11/54 (Formerly Listed as: STANMER PARK Monument to the South West of Stanmer House)

II

Monument to Frederick Frankland. 1775. Coade stone, triangular in plan, and Classical in style. The base carries a Latin inscription and is surmounted by a slightly concave column resting on 3 tortoises, all now headless; the column itself is composed, from the base upwards, of a rope moulding, concave fluting, a swelling pattern of palm leaves and then roundels in a rectangular panel on each face; 2 of the roundels enclose Classical figures and the third an inscription recording that the monument was erected by Thomas, Lord Pelham, and his wife Ann who was the daughter of Frederick Frankland; palmette frieze, egg-and-dart cornice, and fluted blocking course; the whole surmounted by a funerary urn.







Listing NGR: TQ3362509177

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0563 IOE Records taken by Chris Dawson; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mrs Chris Dawson. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Dawson, Chris

Rights Holder: Dawson, Chris

Back
to top