Church Of St Wulfran / St Wulfrans Church

Date:
4 Nov 2000
Location:
Church Of St Wulfran, Greenways, Brighton, Brighton And Hove, East Sussex
Show all locations
St Wulfrans Church, Ovingdean, Brighton, Brighton And Hove, East Sussex
Reference:
IOE01/02381/36
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BRIGHTON

TQ3503NE GREENWAYS, Ovingdean 577-1/52/989 (West side) 13/10/52 Church of St Wulfran (Formerly Listed as: OVINGDEAN St Wulfran's Church)

GV I

Anglican church. Chancel and nave early C12, tower late C13, porch C19, restoration of the church 1867, south chapel 1907, north-west vestry c1985. Flint with stone dressings; roof chiefly of tiles, but that to the north side of the nave and the north-west vestry of slate. EXTERIOR: one round-arched lancet to east end and one each to either side of chancel; the south-east chapel has a single lancet in the east end and a blocked arch in its west end; south side has two 2-light windows with cusped lancets either side of the gabled porch which has a pointed chamfered arch; the easternmost of these windows is set under a massive relieving arch which, like the blocked arch in the south chapel, is a relic of a former south aisle. The north side has 2 lancets and a blocked, round-arched doorway; the vestry has 3 round-arched lancets and a 4-light flat-arched window with hoodmould to the west. Tower of 2 stages; 2 lancets to the lower part of the second stage, south and west, and 2 to upper part, south and north; corbelled circular stack to south-east corner; pyramidal spire with weathervane. INTERIOR: the chancel has aumbries either side of the altar, low down; one low pointed-arched opening, and another higher round-arched opening, both giving onto the south chapel in addition to a pointed-arched entrance presumably of 1907; the east end is painted with scenes of the Passion; crown-post roof, the ceiling and timbers stencilled to designs by CE Kempe, 1867; chancel arch rebuilt as one central round arch with a lower round arch on either side 1865-7; rood figures under a canopy in a late Gothic style by CE Kempe, 1907; boarded ceiling to nave; pointed arch to tower; stained glass in the nave and tower by CE Kempe. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Typed guide in the church).





Listing NGR: TQ3553803560

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0563 IOE Records taken by Chris Dawson; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mrs Chris Dawson. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Dawson, Chris

Rights Holder: Dawson, Chris

Keywords

Flint, Slate, Stone, Tile, Medieval Anglican Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship

Back
to top