This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WALSALL MB BIRMINGHAM ROAD SP 09 NW 7/6 Walsall (or Merrion's) Lodge (formerly listed 11.10.85 as Merrions Wood Lodge) - II Lodge to Great Barr Hall (qv). 1854. Attributed to George Gilbert Scott.
Rendered brick with some sandstone dressings and tile roof. Single storey.
Windows have trefoiled ogee lights. North-west front has gable at left.
Under this is a canted bay window with tile roof, with three lights to the front and one to each side. The stone gutter has carved figures at the corners. Above is a narrow opening with a sandstone band above. This is inscribed: "MDCCCLIIII". To the right the main part of the facade is of one bay with a 2-light window. To its left is a chimney. Coped gables.
Set back to the left is a wing with a gable facing north-east, towards the drive. This gable wall has a 3-light window. Chimney on left-hand wall.
To the right, in the angle with the front part of the lodge, is a single- storey gabled timber porch with carved bargeboards. An old photograph, taken before the building was rendered, shows polychrome brickwork in a diaper pattern. G G Scott was a personal friend of the (unrelated) Scott family of Great Barr Hall and is known to have carried out work on the estate.
Listing NGR: SP0391996060
© Mr Richard Fryer. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Fryer, Richard
Rights Holder: Fryer, Richard
Brick, Render, Sandstone, Tile, Victorian Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Lodge, Domestic
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.